Monday, April 22, 2013

Introduction

Alright, this is the first blog I have ever created.
It will definitely evolve as I go along, so bare with me please as I learn the ropes.
This blog is intended to track/share my journey as I continue my path down the road to "fit".
But first, let me tell you a little bit about myself.

My name is Daniel. People sometimes call me Biff.
(Back to the Future reference. If you're unfamiliar, crawl out from under your rock and go rent them!).
I am 25 years old with intentions of turning 26 in the best shape of my life. I have battled with obesity my whole life pretty much. I was not dealt an easily playable hand in the gene department. My parents screwed me with bad skin, worse teeth, a slow metabolism, and chronic depression/bi-polar disorder. But it is how you play with the cards you're dealt. And let me say this, I am excellent at bluffing.
So just because I was given a pair of deuces, it does not mean I'm going to lose the hand.
I was however blessed in other areas, so I won't leave those unmentioned. I stand at a towering 6 foot 8 inches. I was given great bone/muscle structure and underneath all of this fat is a very well proportioned and muscular mesomorph. I was given blonde hair, green eyes, and lips that the ladies usually can't deny. So aside from the fact that I have been fat most of my life, I've always been successful in mostly all other areas of my life. I have a great job, two handfuls of good friends, and one handful of extraordinary friends.
Onto why I am creating this page, and where I have come so far.

In September 2012, an incident occurred in my life creating a shift in the tectonics plates that were my life. Pretty much everything I knew fell apart and I lost somone that I loved. It changed my entire outlook on life. I immediately began losing weight from the stress of it all, and by the end of the first week I had dropped about 10lbs. Most of it was water weight and from starvation, but I liked the number on the scale. And at that moment, I felt that if losing a few lbs would put a smile on my face even if just for a second in the middle of all of the pandemonium, then I imagined how much I would smile if I continued to lose on. In this brief moment of joy, I decided to devote myself to losing all the weight I had put on over the years and change my body once and for all. Part of me (ok, most of me) felt that If I lost all of this weight and got into impeccable shape, the person I loved and lost, would come back. It was motivation at least, and geared me for the next 6 months.

Today is April 22nd 2013, and here is what has happened so far:
On October 1st 2012, I joined a gym here in Kenosha. Charter Fitness.
I got my picture taken and weighed in at a whopping 311 lbs. I had a body fat % of 29%. I felt very discouraged by the numbers, but used it as a starting point and seriously devoted myself to lowering them both, drastically.
My goals were as follows:
Lose 120lbs + about 20% body fat.
I wanted to be a lean 199lbs, with a body fat of 10%.
I did not document my progress through blog/vlog/diary of any sort until just now and I will explain why I have started this blog a little later on.
As for right now, I will talk about my success so far.
I am currently 239lbs with a body fat of 19.2%.
I have lost ~72lbs so far with a drop in body fat of 10%.

The plan as of New Years 2013, was to reach 213 lbs by July and get my body fat down to about 8%. I have lived my entire life with a fat belly, fat chest, love handles, chubby thighs and a double chin. I figure that at 8% body fat and after lifting heavily for a year straight, my only woes will be that my medium sized tee-shirt will fit too tightly over my biceps. Oh darn.

I started this blog because I am almost into month 5 of this year and I am behind on my goals. The excitement of losing the weight has passed, and I have put on about 5lbs in the past 3 weeks from unhealthy eating and going to the gym less than I was. Complacency gets to me EASILY, and I won't let it happen. Complacency is what got me here in the first place and I want to beat it.

I figured if people read my posts and saw my progress and gave me words of wisdom and courage/advice, that I would have to answer to them...so then giving up would not be an option.

So, this is my post for the day. I might chime in later with more information, but I am at work and should probably get something work-related done. I am happy I started this though, and I hope I get the positive feedback I am looking for in order to stay on track and complete my goals. Don't worry, pictures/videos and everything of the like will be coming. This is just day 1 of blog. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment